Here are a few promised recipes for the Mezza that have been a hit with my family: “How to Creatively Entertain during Covid-19”. From one of our past segments as promised. My mouth is watering!!!!
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole (from Pinterest)- everyone LOVED this and fairly healthy too
Yield 8-12 servings (but I always double the recipe), prep time 20 min, cook time 50 min, total time 1 hour and 10 min
~2 cooked skinless chicken breast, preferably organic, shredded or cubed
~2 tbsp avocado oil or melted grass-fed butter or ghee OR 1.5 tbsp regular butter, melted
~1/2 cup Cottage Cheese (I use low fat)
~3/4 cup Sour Cream (I use low fat)
~2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
~1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
~1 tsp sea salt
~1 and ½ tsp garlic powder (I use slightly less)
~1 tsp dried thyme
~Juice and zest of half of lemon
~2 cups fresh spinach (un-chopped)
~18 oz artichoke hearts, quartered
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease a 1 and ½ qt casserole dish with healthy fat of choice and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked shredded chicken, healthy fat of choice (melted), cottage cheese and sour cream.
Give it a quick stir to combine.
- Add 1 and ½ cups shredded cheese, parsley, sea salt, garlic, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Stir until fully combined and evenly distributed.
- Gently fold in the spinach and artichoke hearts just until combined.
- Pour mixture into the greased casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup shredded cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-50 minutes, or until the cheesy top is lightly golden brown.
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with a garden salad, home-made dressing and some French bread!
- Stuffed Jumbo Shells (from the Barilla box)- my family raved about it and everyone came back for seconds including my son-in-law who also requested the recipe!
Ease of preparation: basic, prep time 20 min, cook time 45 min
~1 box (12 oz) Barilla Jumbo Shells
~1 lb. ground beef
~2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
~1 bag (6oz) baby spinach, chopped
~1 cup finely chopped onion
~1 clove garlic, minced
~1 tsp salt
~1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
~1/8th tsp ground nutmeg
~1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
~I jar Barilla Tomato and Basil Sauce
~1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Cook Jumbo Shells according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Cook ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain grease.
- Add oil, spinach, onion, garlic, reserved pasta water, continue cooking 10 min, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add seasonings, and blend well. Let mixture cool.
- Stir in egg and Parmigiano cheese.
- Pour 1 cup of the Tomato and Basil Sauce into a 13 X 9 inch baking dish.
- Fill Jumbo Shells with meat mixture; place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over shells; sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top, cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Serve with a salad or veggie and warm garlic bread.
- “Dirt” Cake – family favorite and often requested for the holidays
Ease of preparation: basic and children can help!, Needs to chill several hours before serving.
1 Large package of Oreo cookies
2 pkg Instant vanilla pudding
8 oz cream cheese, softened
20 oz Cool Whip (defrost in refrig prior to using)
1 cup powdered sugar
3 and ½ cups milk
- In a large zip lock bag, crush the large package of Oreo cookies and set aside.
- Cream together 2 pkgs Instant vanilla pudding and 8 oz of softened cream cheese.
- Next mix pudding, cream cheese, cool whip and sugar together with a mixer. Slowly add the milk, mixing after each addition and CHILL until slightly firm.
- Serve in a large (tall) glass bowl and layer cookies and filling, ending with the top layer of crushed cookies which should look like “dirt”.
- Cover with plastic wrap and CHILL for several hours
- Embellish the top with garden flowers and ferns!