It’s that time of year again, food, fun, and spirits if you could only turn your scales back 10 lbs! Well, that’s not going to happen so let’s focus on things you CAN do to stay in shape during this very busy time of year.
With age, it gets harder and harder to keep the pounds off but your exercise regimen is so important, especially during this very stressful time. By all means, you don’t want to fall off the wagon and sabotage what you have already accomplished this year. Do your best to stick to your overall routine.
Here are a few tips to stay focused:
- Make exercise a priority. Don’t skip! It’s very important to stick to your routine. One day becomes two, then three and before you know it, a week or two has passed and you can’t even remember how to get to the gym. Exercise relieves stress and releases those endorphins. You will need plenty of endorphins to get that holiday shopping done!
- Eat before you go to that office holiday party! If you eat something healthy with lots of protein and fiber, you will be less likely to munch on all of the high calorie, appetizers and desserts! If you do indulge, small plates and small portions are key.
- Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum. Of course, this is the season to celebrate with friends and family. Alcohol is not your friend. Alcoholic beverages are full of sugar and will only make you hungrier! Empty calories and a morning headache are only going to be detrimental to your overall health and fitness.
- Water, water, water! Don’t let yourself get dehydrated. Just because you aren’t thirsty doesn’t mean your body isn’t already dehydrated. Not only is it good for your digestion and overall health but so good for your skin, as well! Lack of water can leave you feeling a bit more sluggish and reliant on caffeinated drinks. Remember, 6-8 glasses a day….minimum!
- Take time for YOU! It is a very busy time of year and sometimes can be a depressing time for many people. Be aware of your emotional health and surround yourself with people who support you and your family. If there are toxic people in your life, let them go! Life is short!
- Last but not least, try to enjoy the Holidays and do the best you can staying fit and healthy! Balance is key, especially this time of year! Finish 2019 strong and remember 2020 is just around the corner! A new year and a new YOU!
Gina Ryals-Exercise Contributor for the Mezza and Co-Host of the New Show in the Burbs on the UI Media Network.